12.30.2016

The Best of 2016: Makeup

It's almost a farewell to 2016 but for everyone who'll miss this year especially, don't worry, you'll say more hellos in your lifetime than goodbyes. 

I've finally found some time from all the holiday rush to finally take decent photos and I'm currently writing this at the speed of light. Sometimes a "hello" is soon followed by "I love you" don't you think? And here are the makeup picks that made it to the love list this year!



BASE
Base is serious business but I have stuck loyally to the Ettusais BB Mineral Cream as my reliable base product, but a new addition has also appeared in the elite circle and that's the Etude House Double Lasting Foundation in Tan which has proved itself with its coverage, lasting power and texture, yes there have been a few others that were new in my arsenal but none were so worthy like the EHDL one. 

For concealers I need two, not excessive just more utility based, for under the eyes I need a more brightening formula that's not too drying, I still love the Happy Skin Eye need a Miracle Corrector but the Clinique All About Eyes Concealer, a newcomer has also piqued my fancy as it offers high coverage but no creasing. And for the blemishes, though I've loved the NARS radiant creamy concealer, it's a pricey affair and NARS doesn't have a counter here so, I'm to fend for myself, but The SAEM Cover Tip Perfection Concealer is cheap, cheerful and does its job fantastically so it's quickly took the spot.

Powder is an integral part of the beauty routine and I've been head over heels for the Skinfood Peach Sake Pore Powder as it smells heavenly, controls oil like no one's business and has a lovely blurring effect on skin and I'll tell you flat out that it's better than the Innisfree No Sebum Mineral Powder. I've bought another tub of this so this is reigning high and well in my books. But of course I'll always need a powder foundation on call for higher coverage or just something over a great primer and the In2It Two way Oil Control Powder Foundation does not disappoint in all levels. But my retouch powder award has to go to the Canmake Marshmallow Finish Pact which brightens up dull areas, sets them again and blurring imperfections. 


CHEEKS
Some familiar pieces here and some are frankly no surprise. Some have been great this year which felt a good shout out for all they're worth. But frankly speaking, the Happy Skin Sculptacular Palette still dominates my contour game, and though other suitors have tried their pan with me like the Snoe Slim Shade Me in Peanut and the Too Cool For School Art Class by Rodin, both of which I still love,  if for some reason I can't get a hold of the HSSP, I would choose either the Snoe or the Too Cool For School powder. Snoe easily hits pan with its very fine powder and softness, it's reddish but it works, TCFS is quite light for my taste, ideal for a more natural direction but not for my round face.

I'm fiercely loyal to the Etude House Face Design Brightener in Wannabe Face, can't stop myself I'm afraid, can't get enough of that bright sheen which has helped immensely with my dark under eye dilemma.

I feel that my blush search has been quite stagnant since finding the Max Factor Creme Puff Blushers, they provide that healthy glowy flush I so desperately need and with shades that don't make me look like a clown. But of course the Instain Blushers by theBalm have provided the opposite side of the spectrum with a simple matte flush so I still pay them a visit every now and then.


EYES
Ever since I've had Laser Eye Surgery I've had a less is more moment with eye makeup, so now I'm more for the lashes, a nice crease color which can easily be done with my brow palette or a sheen on the lids with my highlighter. But eyeshadaow primer has played a serious part his year so a great thanks to the reliable Etude House Proof 10 eyeshadow primer which helps them stick to my oily lids. All very easy looks and a few things gave been taken for granted but still valued. My brows have been having the time of their life with the Pink Sugar Honey I'm Good Perfect Brow Kit in Perfect Taupe and set with the Pink Sugar Honey I'm Good Brow Gel in Blonde, now on my 2nd tube of this stuff. 

And the Maybelline Lashsensational Mascara has made a splash with its great volumizing ability and the long wear of the curl. Simply the best mascara I've tried so far. Period. Currently waiting for something else to upstage it but to no avail. I'll need a tube every few months now.

And though 2016 had sparked a great affair and break up with eye liner, I'll tell you the best one so far, the Dolly Wink Black liquid eyeliner is so fine, pigmented and long-wearing. Not completely going on an eyeliner ban, I will consider buying the brown version of this.
   

LIPS
I've been drowning in a sea of MLBB's but there are always be special ones, better feel, wear, pigment and plainly color. I'm still in love with Happy Skin's Hold my Hand lippie a not quite pink not quite red shade which just brightens up the complexion. Early in the year the Colourette Colour Stick in Sahara has made quite an amount of ruckus all over the internet with good reason, it's a nice light browny peachy shade which seems to suit almost everyone. And the Pink Sugar Sugar tint in Queen Bee came around, a cross between a mauve and wine which left people wondering what lipstick I had on. Then came a brown lipstick craze which led to MAC Whirl in my midst, lovely brown number but leaves me perplexed on when I can wear it. Following the brown lip craze was Happy Skin's Slaying it, browny with a hint of red, a shade I adore. And then Carmen Claire's Terracotta Warrior came about, a bright peachy coral and an "almost" red I gamely put on each time. And the late comers to the game but left a mark great enough to be on this list, Happy Skin x Disney Collab lippies in Anna and Aurora, Anna another almost red shade I can't stop putting on my lips at the moment and Aurora which is a cross between a brown, pink and mauve shade that I like to ration for future keeping since it is limited edition after all.

Hope you have a great New Year dear readers!






No comments :

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.